VIA4, as part of modernising and improving the quality of service, decided to implement a vehicle monitoring system. Its main tasks were to ensure constant control over vehicles, optimise traffic management on the motorway and maintain a high level of safety and service
All vehicles were equipped with a GPS vehicle controller, through which information about the vehicle’s position, speed or the operation of the relevant equipment and sensors is sent to the software enabling the vehicles to be monitored on a map in real time and the recorded data to be archived.
The trucks are equipped with fuel monitoring devices, such as fuel probes and a CAN bus connection, as well as sensors for opening the fuel filler cap and anti-theft strainers to prevent fuel being drained from the tanks. In the case of small and large delivery vehicles and agricultural tractors, a connection to the CAN bus or a factory-installed float was used.
Other accessories were also connected to the vehicle controllers of vehicles, such as:
– Engine cover opening sensors,
– ‘Dallas’ badge readers for driver identification,
– PDA terminals in patrol vehicles to record defined traffic events (statuses),
– Recording devices for the operation of booms,
– Working heads and the operation of mowers (PTO sensor) on trucks and agricultural vehicles,
– Left-hand and right-hand brush signal connection,
– Connection of a mower unit operation signal (proximity sensor) on a lift truck,
– Plough and sprinkler sensors on winter road maintenance vehicles.
ELTE also equipped the dispatching station with the hardware infrastructure and screens necessary to work in the system and monitor the fleet owned by VIA4. The equipment has been configured to simultaneously display three different images on each monitor with
a resolution of 1920×1080, or one image on all screens creating an image with a resolution of 5760×1080.
VIA4 has the ability to monitor the position of vehicles using a web application and an installed GPS Monitor and GPS Log application. The implemented software allows the position of vehicles to be displayed on an additional map that includes only the concession section of the A4 motorway. The map shows kilometreage and characteristic motorway points such as motorway interchanges, emergency crossings and POIs. The implemented solution also allows the location of each monitored vehicle to be determined by drawing the route, as well as viewing the current status of inputs and outputs of all devices.